Night Sounds Trip Info PacketThis packet of information is provided to help keep you organized and ensure that you are fully prepared for your lessons. Please review all of this information carefully at least one week prior to your lesson. Message or chat with us if you have any additional questions.
This packet contains the following:
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some answers to the most frequently asked questions.
- You have up to two years from your first trip to complete any membership package.
- Please schedule or re-schedule your trip online.
- You have up until 72 hours before start time to reschedule (please do so online). Guests who do not reschedule in time or don’t show up forfeit their trip. No exceptions are made to this policy and we do not offer refunds.
- Please do not wait until the last minute to prepare for your trip.
- Please arrive and be prepared fifteen minutes prior to your trip start time. (Late arrivals will not be admitted.)
- Personal floatation, paddle, and kayak are provided at no charge.
- Although our beginner trips do not include intentional capsizing, you could accidentally end up in the water. Therefore, in the spring and fall we require that all participants wear synthetic clothing that dries quickly. Patagonia Capilene is great for such a situation and it can be worn under basic nylon pants and jackets. Long pants are a good idea on many beginner trips.
- On some trips, you will have to help carry your kayak on two short portages.
- Store your car key in a “Hide-a-Key” box or similar somewhere on your vehicle.
- You may repeat any trip at a discounted rate. Please message or chat with us for more info.
- All trips meet rain or shine. A decision to postpone due to lightning or other dangerous conditions is made on-site at the last possible minute. (Mother Nature often cooperates if we wait and see.)
- For your safety and enjoyment, we request that you keep your personal information up-to-date on your schedule page using the link at the top right that says "Personal info" CLICK HERE FOR YOUR SCHEDULE PAGE.
List of Things to Bring
The following list of things to bring is for your comfort, safety, and enjoyment of your on-water experience with us. ALL ITEMS ARE STRONGLY RECOMMENDED.April-May and September-November
Directions to Lesson LocationDirections to Riley’s Lock in Poolesville, MD.
- Take exit 39 for River Rd/Rt-190 west toward Potomac
- Merge onto MD-190/River Rd
- After 11.5 miles, you will come to a dead end.
- Turn left onto River Rd
- After 0.7 miles, turn left onto Rileys Lock Rd.
- Proceed to a boat ramp on your right and parking area on your left. You will see a kayak trailer and our instructor(s) in the parking lot on your left.
PLEASE have your clothing and supplies ready to go fifteen minutes prior to start time so that we can start promptly.
Note: Vehicles have been broken into at this parking lot. Please leave all valuables at home and bring a small drybox for your credit cards and cash. You can store your car key in a hidden key box on the underside of your fender.